Programmer. Web Developer. Problem-Solver. Let's build the future together.
I am a programmer working in the Edmonton, AB area. I am passionate about what I do, and dedicated to improving my skills on an ongoing basis. My current passion project is IntFicPy, a game engine for creating interactive fiction in Python.
© Rita Lester 2019
Profile:Passionate programmer and avid learner. Completed an internship in the Computing Science department of the University of Alberta in 2015 under Dr Hindle (reference letter available.) Worked as part of a small team to quickly develop and troubleshoot a piece of software.
Competent in French
Recent Projects:IntFicPy: Engine for building interactive fiction with Python – December 2018 to Present
- wrote a parser that can interpret the kind of English statements typically permissible as text adventure commands (for instance “go north” or “set cup on table”)
- created a system of classes for verbs and various types of items that can be used by the developer to create their story
- built a GUI with PyQt5
- First release planned for fall
Django blogging system – January 2018
- created a simple blogging system with Django as a learning project
- implemented support for multiple authors on the same blog - implemented an authentication system
- laid the groundwork for a PHP save/load system
Work Experience:Student Researcher - July to August 2015
University of Alberta Computing Science Department, Edmonton, AB - using reference materials provided, and with help from other team members, learned Python, SuperCollider, and Arduino C
- worked in a collaborative setting
- often used pair programming
- used Git for version control
- designed an Arduino-based device and a piece of software as part of a small, tight team
- used iterative development
- presented results at a conference